RE: Last Call: Handling of Unknown DNS Resource Record Types to Proposed Standard

Erik Nordmark writes:
> Perhaps 2929 should have said standards action instead of IETF consensus
> but in any case I think you've found a bug in the unknown-rrs IANA section -
> the IANA can't enforce what it is requested to enforce for the private use
> part of the space.

The draft does not ask IANA to enforce anything in the case of private
use. It says "The IANA is hereby requested to verify that
specifications for new RR types *requesting an RR type number* comply
with this specification" (my emphasis).  In the case of private use,
no RR type is being requested, and therefore IANA is not asked to
verify compliance - in fact, IANA is not involved at all.

If IANA has a problem with verifying compliance in one or both of the
cases where IANA is actually involved (IETF Consensus or Specification
Required), I will be happy to change the draft to remove the request
for such verification from the IANA considerations section.
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson@nominum.com