Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-pkix-pi - Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Permanent Identifier to Proposed Standard

I'm sorry.....

--On 10. april 2003 13:01 -0400 IESG Secretary <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> wrote:

                    Yes    No-Objection  Discuss *  Abstain

Harald Alvestrand   [   ]     [   ]       [ X ]      [   ]
The matchingRule is an OID. When the OID is missing the
following matching rule SHALL be used:

The Alphanumeric Identifier Match rule compares for equality a
presented value with an attribute value of type UTF8String
or IA5String, which is interpreted as a series of alphanumeric
characters. The rules for matching are that a working comparison
value is constructed from each of the two values by including
only the digits and alphabetic characters appearing in the value;
and then the two comparison values are compared using
CaseIgnoreMatch. This rule is intended for use only with
identifiers in variants of the Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic scripts.

1) as defined, this cannot be implemented interoperably, because the definition of "alphabetic character" is not given.
If the document is amended to refer to (for instance) the Unicode Alphabetic property (section 4.10 of the Unicode 3.0 standard), I'll remove this DISCUSS. You REALLY, REALLY don't want to get into a discussion about whether or not a HEBREW POINT RAFE or a GUJARATI SIGN VISAGARA is an alphabetic character or not; let someone else do that.
(be careful. Even the restriction to Latin, Greek and Cyrillic isn't enough for interoperability - what about GREEK NUMERAL SIGN or COMBINING CYRILLIC TITLO? You REALLY want to use someone else's definition.)

2) For greater general utility, I suggest that this document define an OID for this matching rule. It can be "TBD by IANA", and I'm fine with assuming it as a default - but leaving it unlabelled is Just Not Right.

Harald