From: IANA [mailto:iana@iana.org]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 11:13 AM
To: IESG
Cc: Michelle S. Cotton
Subject: IANA Matrix project

Hello IESG,

Hope everyone has made it safely to SF.  I'll be coming up
Tues eve and will see you Wed morning at the breakfast.

I spoke with Thomas last Thursday about the IANA Matrix
project.  My assistant Jennifer and I have put in a lot
of work gathering information and have put it all
in a table.  It is not complete and there are many areas
where we'll need your help to fill in the blanks.

After discussing with Thomas, we had the following thoughts:

- Change the layout from a table from to a webpage
that looks similar to the current "Numbers" page:
<http://www.iana.org/numbers.html>

- Eventually we will replace the current numbers page
with what we are working on right now.

- Change the titles of the fields to the following:

Registry -> Protocol
Sub-Registry -> Related registries
Defining RFC -> Put the defining RFC and when applicable the
                RFC that describes the IANA Considerations
Requirements -> Registration/Assignment procedures
Location ->  Do not put the URL for the location but just make
             the registry clickable like it is on the current
             numbers page

- First review with the IESG and try to get complete
information.

For now, I was hoping that you could take a look at
the draft page more for information content.  I was
hoping to have you review the areas that you are familiar
with and help me to verify accurate information and also
to fill in any questions marks that may appear in the table.
I know your time is limited during the IETF so if you
could put this on your list of things to do when you get
home it would be very much appreciated.

After the IETF meeting, as time does not permit
during this week, I will work on the updated page and
circulatte to the IESG for comments on format.

This page is available at the following, however it is not
linked anywhere on the website and I would prefer that you
do not circulate it's location.  It still needs LOTS of work.

<http://www.iana.org/IANA-Matrix.htm>

Let me know if you have any questions/comments.  When this
is completed I think it will be a great source of information
and it will make life easier (at least a little bit).
I would be happy to discuss this with any of you up in SF or
by phone.  My goal is to be able to have it completed and annouce
by the July IETF meeting.  This will allow for sufficient time
to fill in the blanks and adjust the format of the page.

Thomas, if you want to add anything please do.

If anyone has any questions please let me know!
See you soon.

Thanks in advance,

Michelle
IANA