RE: Last Call: Remote Network Monitoring MIB Protocol Identifier Reference to Draft Standard

At 11:41 AM 5/27/2003, IANA wrote:
>IESG:
>
>The IANA has reviewed RFC RFC2895 'Remote Network Monitoring MIB
>Protocol Identifier Reference' which is in Last Call, and has the
>following comments with regards to the consideration of the document
>as draft standard:
>
>In RFC2895, there are many references to IANA in this document.
>It was published right before I was actively working on IANA
>Actions for documents.  I am having trouble finding some of the
>IANA items described in the document.  I believe that a reference
>will need to be changed somewhere, just not sure exactly where.
>
>If anyone can assist me on this one, it would be appreciated.
>
>Please respond to the IANA about our concerns with regards to this
>document.  Failing to do so may cause delay of the approval and
>publication of your document.

   groups/rmonmib/current/maillist.htm.

To date, no submissions have been made to the WG for inclusion
in this rmon2_pi_macros directory.  It is doubtful that any
such macros will ever be submitted.

------------------------------------

page 30:

 -- The following protocol-variant-identifier macro declarations are
 -- used to identify the RMONMIB IANA assigned protocols in a
 -- proprietary way, by simple enumeration.

ipxOverRaw8023 PROTOCOL-IDENTIFIER
    VARIANT-OF  ipx
    PARAMETERS      { }
    ATTRIBUTES  { }
    DESCRIPTION
       "This pseudo-protocol describes an encapsulation of IPX over
       802.3, without a type field.

       Refer to the macro for IPX for additional information about this
       protocol."
    DECODING
       "Whenever the 802.3 header indicates LLC a set of protocol
       specific tests needs to be applied to determine whether this is a
       'raw8023' packet or a true 802.2 packet.  The nature of these
       tests depends on the active child protocols for 'raw8023' and is
       beyond the scope of this document."
    ::= {
     ianaAssigned 1,             -- [0.0.0.1]
     802-1Q       0x05000001     -- 1Q_IANA [5.0.0.1]
    }

This is the only RMON PI macro currently defined that is
rooted under the 'ianaAssigned' subtree.  It is assigned
the value '1'.  I don't know where these subtree assignments
are stored by IANA.  I don't think the RFC specifies where
they are stored -- it just says the numbers are assigned
by IANA.

I think these are the only places in the RFC that refer to
IANA controlled info.  Let me know if you have more questions.

>Thank you.
>
>Michelle S. Cotton
>(on behalf of the IANA)

Andy