Re: draft of rights in submissions draft

Scott,

> 5.2 Derivative Works Limitation

>    If the Contributor desires to eliminate the IETF's right to make
>    modifications and derivative works of an Contribution (other than
>    translations), the following notice may be included in the Status of
>    memo section of an Internet-Draft and included in a published RFC:

>       "This document may not be modified, and derivative works of it may
>       not be created, except to translate it into languages other than
>       English."

>    This notice may not be used with any standards-track document, since
>    the IETF must retain change control over standards-track documents
>    and the ability to augment, clarify and enhance the original IETF
>    Contribution in accordance with the IETF Standards Process.

Given what 7.3 says about WG documents, should this section mention
them too?

[...]
> 7.3 Right to Produce Derivative Works

>    The IETF needs to be able to evolve IETF Documents in response to
>    experience gained in the deployment of the technologies described in
>    such IETF Documents, to incorporate developments in research and to
>    react to changing conditions on the Internet and other IP networks.
>    In order to do this the IETF must be able to produce derivatives of
>    its documents; thus the IETF must obtain the right from Contributors
>    to produce derivative works. Note though that the IETF only requires
>    this right for the production of derivative works within the IETF
>    Standards Process.  The IETF does not need, nor does it obtain, the
>    right to let derivative works be created outside of the IETF
>    Standards Process.

Don't the last 2 sentences contradict what the text below says
about WG documents? I.e., we can have a WG document not going
to STD track, such as EXP, BCP, or even INFO (as in ISIS).

I guess I see a document being within the IETF STD process and
a doc within an IETF WG as two independent statuses, both requiring
the right to produce derivative works.

>    The right to produce derivative works is required for all IETF
>    standards track documents and for most non-standards track documents.
>    There are two exceptions to this requirement:  documents describing
>    proprietary technologies and documents that are republications of the
>    work of other standards organizations.

>    The right to produce derivative works must be granted in order for an
>    IETF working group to accept an IETF Contribution as a working group
>    document or otherwise work on it.  For non-working group IETF
>    Contributions where the Contributor requests publication as a
>    standards track RFC the right to produce derivative works must be
>    granted before the IESG will issue an IETF Last-Call and, for most
>    non-standards track documents, before the IESG will consider the
>    Internet-Draft for publication.

>    Occasionally a Contributor may not want to grant publication rights
>    or the right to produce derivative works before finding out if an
>    IETF Contribution has been accepted for development in the IETF
>    Standards Process.  In these cases the Contributor may include the
>    Derivative Works Limitation described in Section 5.2 and the
>    Publication Limitation described in Section 5.3 in their IETF
>    Contribution. A working group can discuss the Internet-Draft with the
>    aim to decide if it should become a working group document, even
>    though the right to produce derivative works or to publish as a RFC
>    has been yet granted. If the IETF Contribution is accepted for

has _not_ yet

>    development the Contributor must then resubmit the IETF Contribution
>    without the limitation notices before a working group can formally
>    adopt the IETF Contribution as a working group document.

Observation: this essentially means that Natalia will need to check
that each WG document allows derivative works. I like it.

Alex