Re: draft-ietf-ipv6-unicast-aggr-v2-02.txt

--On mandag, juni 09, 2003 09:56:40 -0400 Margaret Wasserman <mrw@windriver.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I'm just trying to figure out the state of this document (yet
again)...

At this point, there is only one DISCUSS listed against the
document (Randy's, below), but there are three IESG members
(Harald, Bill and Allison) who don't have any positions listed.
What does that mean?
Most likely it means that they weren't on the call that discussed it, and have raised no objections. I know that's what mine means....

Also, what are we supposed to do about Randy's discuss?
Will the ops-dir person who sent the e-mail (and/or Randy) be
sending this issue to the IPv6 WG?  Or, are we (the WG chairs
and/or document editor) supposed to send it?
The AD (Thomas) is supposed to discuss this with you. Thomas?

The whole point of this document is to move the current TLA/NLA
assignment rules to historic, removing the fixed internal
hierarchy from IPv6 addresses...  It is no longer reasonable
for implementations to assume that there is any hierarchy to
these addresses, other than the bitwise hierarchy inherent in
CIDR-based/longest-match forwarding algorithms.  So, I think it
would be misleading and potentially confusing to add hierarchy
fields to the address diagrams.

Of course, in reality, registries and enterprises can and often
do allocate addresses hierarchically.  But, that doesn't affect
the structure of IPv6 addresses.

My reading of the comment is that the reviewer wants the same thing - to say that the one who gets the allocation to play with can put in hierarchy at any bit boundary he/she/it wants, and that CIDR-based longest-match will make the Right Thing happen. Randy - is that what you wanted?

Margaret

---
Randy: