Re: Comments on draft-schryver-pppext-iana-00.txt

Bernard Aboba wrote:

This draft appears to apply to the assignment of EAP parameters (Codes,
and Type), which is also covered in RFC 2284bis.  Given that there is no
WG chartered to review EAP methods currently, I believe that this would
effectively block assignment of EAP Type codes until completion of RFC
2284bis.
Bernard,

I think EAP IANA considerations should be left to 2284bis, and
Vernon's draft should handle other PPP IANA considerations.
However, I could be missing something obvious here but it appears
that the below text

IANA Considerations for PPP

   IETF Consensus, usually through the Point-to-Point Protocol
   Extensions (pppext) working group, is required for assigning new
   values in the following address spaces:

                DLL PROTOCOL NUMBERS
                LCP AND IPCP CODES
                LCP CONFIGURATION OPTION TYPES
                CCP CONFIGURATION OPTION TYPES
                AUTHENTICATION ALGORITHMS
                LCP FCS-ALTERNATIVES
                MULTILINK ENDPOINT DISCRIMINATOR CLASS
                LCP CALLBACK OPERATION FIELDS
                BRIDGING CONFIGURATION OPTION TYPES
                BRIDGING MAC TYPES
                BRIDGING SPANNING TREE
                IPCP CONFIGURATION OPTION TYPES
                IPV6CP CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
                IP-Compression-Protocol Types
only applies to "AUTHENTICATION ALGORITHMS" which is
_not_ a wildcard for anything EAP-related. Vernon
has stripped "PPP" from all the name space names,
and according to

  http://www.iana.org/assignments/ppp-numbers

"PPP AUTHENTICATION ALGORITHMS" is a specific PPP
namespace for CHAP algorithm identifiers. EAP Codes
are not currently managed at all (until 2284bis!)
and EAP Types are managed as "PPP EAP REQUEST/RESPONSE
TYPES", which is not listed above.

But I do agree its a bit confusing. Perhaps we should
make the following modifications to the draft and the
IANA registeries:

1) Rename "PPP AUTHENTICATION ALGORITHMS" to
   "PPP CHAP AUTHENTICATION ALGORITHMS".

2) Add back the "PPP" part of the namespace names
   in Vernon's list.

And then 2284bis will make all EAP-related namespaces
clear.

--Jari