status of hip

Mostly a question. Should the IETF be doing anything with HIP? Who is
tracking it and following the work?

At each IETF, I run into folk (including some I consider clueful) that
are working on it or doing something related to it and that think it
solves something and/or is pretty neat. I even ran into someone
yesterday who says they have implemented it and are planning on
deploying it as part of building a large wireless WAN.

At the risk of saying something impolite, I recall somene saying a
while back that HIP was a solution in search of a problem, and until
there is a concrete problem for it to solve, the IETF doesn't need to
do anything with it.

Thoughts?

Thomas