Re: impact of recent cisco vulnerability

>	because of recent cisco vulnerability, many ISPs installed filters
>	that would drop mobile-ip4 (ip protocol type 55), both inbound and
>	outbound at EBGP routers, as a countermeasure until they upgrade all
>	of the cisco routers they have.  it would seriously impact the
>	deployment/use of mobile-ip4.
>
>	also swipe (53), sun ND (77), PIM (103) are getting filtered.  i don't
>	think PIM operation will be affected by this as people wouldn't use
>	PIM across AS borders.  not sure about swipe and sun ND.

Actually people do use PIM across AS borders.  Typical current
deployments use MSDP inter-domain for source discovery, and then
PIM-SM joins travel inter-domain to draw down the traffic.  Future
SSM deployments would just start with source-specific joins which
would often travel inter-domain.

But anyone who has PIM-SM enabled on their outward-facing interfaces
would probably remember not to filter PIM joins, and it doesn't matter
for anyone else.

As a general point though, I fear we're moving closer and closer to
the deployment of inter-ISP firewalls.  If this is going to happen
anyway, I wonder if we should be trying to architect a solution?

Cheers,
	Mark