Re: Fwd: ISO 3166-1 Newsletter V-8 on Serbia and Montenegro published

At 23:28 7/23/2003, Randy Bush wrote:
> if iso has a country code for X
>          and X sets up servers and gets a cctld assigned
>          and X is later not a country
>            and iso assigns Y the country code previously used by X
>            and there are active domains previously under the cctld
>                related to X
>        can Y set up servers and get the cctld assigned to it that was
> previously assigned to X

that is how it has been done in the past.

randy

I'm still scratching my head here... "in the past"? While old countries have gone away and become new countries with new codes, according to the note paf forwarded, the assignment of "CS" to the new country was only the second time since 74 that a country code was reused. I don't remember any other country code being reused since the DNS got started. Which is why I raised the general question.

So - which country code was reassigned from an old dead country to a new country that required DNS changes and the movement of delegations from the old dead country code? (Unless you're referring to the "gb" vs "uk" debacle?)

Later, Mike