Re: Appel due to management of the "site-local issue"

Bob Hinden wrote:

Leif,

You didn't address this to me, but I feel obligated to answer.

The questions I have asked the working group in the email "Moving forward on Site-Local and Local Addressing" was to ascertain the manner in which the working group wanted the deprecation of site-local was to happen. The steps the working group should take. This has been a topic of debate it and I thought it best to get feedback from the working group.
I appreciate your responding to my appeal and I believe that your intentions are what you describe.
However by allowing some of the choices (eg deprecating when alternatives are in place) on the table
you run the clear risk of perpetuating the madness that is site-locals. This was the reason for my appeal.

In my opinion as stated in the appeal I believe that consensus was reached for immediate and unconditional
deprecation of site-local addresses - alternative A in your survey. Furthermore I believe that by not acting
on the consensus without delay we allow the minority proponents of site-locals to unduly influence the
work in ipv6-wg by exhausting the non-ipv6 wg regulars who were specifically asked to review the
site-local issue.

Cheers Leif