Fwd: Handle System RFC Note

FYI.
		Ted

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:18:59 -0400
To: braden@isi.edu
From: Robert Kahn <rkahn@cnri.reston.va.us>
Subject: Fwd: Handle System RFC Note
Cc: thardie@qualcomm.com, ssun@cnri.reston.va.us, llannom@cnri.reston.va.us,
bboesch@cnri.reston.va.us, kahn@cnri.reston.va.us

Bob,

Having pushed a bit harder into the matter, I am now becoming aware that this issue is more basic and fundamental than I had thought. I think I need to begin to weigh into the process personally and I plan to do so as time and circumstances permit. I appreciate your time and attention to the matter, and the interest of the IESG in trying to find a polite way to deal with their concerns. I believe this is not the right vehicle to have this discussion and withdraw my objection. I'll plan to deal with it elsewhere.

You may use the entire IESG statement as crafted. My understanding is that it reads as follows:

"Several groups within the IETF and IRTF have discussed the Handle
System and its relationship to existing systems of identifiers. The IESG
wishes to point out that these discussions have not resulted in IETF
consensus on the described Handle System nor on how it might fit into the
IETF architecture for identifiers. Though there has been discussion of
handles as a form of URI, specifically as a URN, these documents describe an
alternate view of how namespaces and identifiers might work on the
Internet."

Thanks for all your help.

bob