Re: apnic - second day better

At 11:46 AM 21/08/2003 +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> If the RIRs manage to drive home the idea that you only have "legal" right
> to address space if you've got an ongoing relationship with an RIR, and
> that we (for some sense of "we") don't have to care about those with
> address space the RIRs have no idea who "owns", the idea of trusting the
> RIRs and only the RIRs to say "what address block belongs to which user" is
> more viable. If huge chunks of "important" address space aren't in the
> RIRs' lists of "authorized owners", one has to trust more sources of such
> info.

some would like this, i.e. they do not see the rirs as the
authoritative source for ownership of historical space.
(personally, i am ambivalent)

also note that paul made very clear (took me two tries:-) that the
rir will continue to change whois date even if the recipient is not
a member. this is not to say that they will issue attestation of
ownership.

It is my understanding that it would be of no value to issue an attestation
of an association between an entity identity and an address resource if
the attestor (is that a word?) has no means of validating such a attestation.
Accordingly if the attestation is simply an assertion without reference to
supportive documentation and records, then its of no useable value
as far as I can tell.

  regards,

   Geoff