Re: comments on WG rechartering procedures

At 09:25 AM 9/10/2003 -0400, Thomas Narten wrote:
> asked Barbara to give me some background information so that we can decide
> what policy we want. More issues here....

We have runnng code that mailing lists are being created prior to
official WG creation. I surely hope we aren't about to change that,
and the above wording leaves me uncomfortable that we're maybe
changing running code.

More than this... Some ADs require that there is an active mailing list, with substantive discussion, before agreeing to a BOF. It can be difficult to move these lists later.

Are we actively trying, at this point, to consolidate IETF mailing
lists to the secretariat/ietf.org?  If so, why?  If not, then we
don't necessarily have any say in how/when/if a mailing list gets
created.

> This ties into the "creation of mailing lists" issue.

In those cases where the list is hosted at ietf.org - not all lists
are. Indeed, _all_ BOFs/pre-WGs have mailing lists prior to being WGs,
though not necssarily hosted at ietf.org.

Exactly.

> I suggest we delay this until we have another discussion on "what should be
> public when", and when mailing lists are created.

Can we just say something like that on all public messages, the WG
mailing should be cc'ed (if it exists).

wfm.

Margaret