Re: Interoperability Testing at IETF Meetings

--On 11. september 2003 08:39 -0700 Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

various WGs have attempted to organize interop/plug testing either
before or after IETF sessions. Sometimes during. I am aware of IPsec,
HIP, DNSSEC, and DHCPv6 tests that have occured or been attempted in the
past year.

traditionally, these have been very explicitly NOT ietf events. we have allowed them space iff available. but the ietf did not do any interoperability testing/

I think we've had multiple types of testing events, none of which we wanted to be "the IETF does interoperability testing". Like:

- "these guys are meeting in the next building over; we're not responsible"
- "these guys are meeting in the terminal room and playing, but not bothering anyone; we don't bother checking what they are doing"
- "these guys are playing around with stuff that messes up the network, we need to track & stop them"
- "these guys are using IETF connectivity and/or IETF meeting rooms, we know, and we don't mind" (fairly rare)

I think what Barbara's asking for is guidelines on what to answer.

Harald