Re: Internal WG Review: MIPv6 Signaling and Handoff Optimization (mipshop)

James Kempf wrote:
I'd also note that there is apparently more than one IRTF WG proposal in
this area;  Bill Arbaugh is also proposing formation of an IRTF WG.

Given

that IEEE 802 has recently started up two new study groups on Handoff
(Handoff ECSG and the new Fast Handoff Study Group), I'm becoming

concerned

about the proliferation of Research and Study Group efforts in this area.

I think it might be worthwhile to fold Bill's effort into the Mobility RG.

Yes, or ours into his! I was just chatting with Raj about this... In other words: we should merge them. Actually, we are looking for chairs for this RG. We currently have one person (ietf-er) lined up, but we're still looking for an "academic" co-chair. Just this morning, the person we were hoping to rope in turned us down due to other duties. As soon as I read your answer, I thought that Bill would be a very good chair indeed. So we'll ask him to consider going forward by folding our current thinking into his proposal. Hopefully they're not too far apart that this would be possible...

IEEE has been edging into access network protocols in a haphazard way for
years (802.11i & f), but the results have not been any more successful than
in the IETF. I'm not sure what IETF can do about this, except through
efforts of folks such as yourself that have the time and interest to attend
both standardization groups. In an ideal world, there would be some kind of
joint work between IEEE and IETF on access network protocols that would work
for the growing suite of IEEE radio MAC and PHY protocols, and this work may
be of interest for next generation 3G systems as well, but that seems
unlikely to happen.

I think we can forget about the ideal world. Most of the good work will happen because of concerned individuals who are active on both camps. Looking recently at IEEE LINKSEC and handoff presentations, I noticed there were a few folks there who do attend IETF. So perhaps there is some raw material to work with, although there may be some need for coordination (anybody doing this?).

-gabriel