Re: [Rps] Re: Last Call: 'RPSLng' to Proposed Standard

In message <20030923210804.GA4850@cow.ripe.net>, Engin Gunduz writes:
> On 2003-09-22 22:12:09 -0400, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I'm waiting to hear if implementors think that returning an import in
> > place of an mp-import (etc) to an RPSL-only client will be difficult
> > or whether it doesn't sound so hard after thinking about it.
>
> The whois "protocol" does not allow the server to know if the client
> is RPSL-only or not.  Changing the protocol to accomplish it is I think
> out of scope.  CRISP will be the solution to this problem.
> -engin
>
> > Curtis
>
> --
> Engin Gunduz
> RIPE NCC Database Group

Something like RtConfig could use a newer protocol.  A common trick
for the whois program has been to include flags in the whois query:

  whois -h rpslng.ripe.net " --use-rpsl-ng as3561"

Tools such as RtConfig are better served by other protocols.  It is
the older tools that are perl programs or shell scripts built on top
of whois, either calling the whois executable or connecting to port
43.  For those you can use the trick above or something similar.  In
the absense of the --use-rpsl-ng only ipv4 policy would be returned,
translating mp-* objects at the server on behalf of the client.

Make sense?

Curtis