Re: [Rps] Re: Last Call: 'RPSLng' to Proposed Standard

Engin Gunduz wrote:

On 2003-09-22 22:12:09 -0400, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
[...]

I'm waiting to hear if implementors think that returning an import in
place of an mp-import (etc) to an RPSL-only client will be difficult
or whether it doesn't sound so hard after thinking about it.

The whois "protocol" does not allow the server to know if the client
is RPSL-only or not.  Changing the protocol to accomplish it is I think
out of scope.  CRISP will be the solution to this problem.

This is true but at least one of the whois servers used for RPSL already has a mechansim to keep the session open for multiple queries and that isn't in the standard either. Expanding on that you could say that if the text string query (which is all the actual standard allows for) contains some particular token then a server will hold the session open and negotiate options with the client. This behaviour would allow a server to support RPSL, RPSLng, ... concurrently if it wished.

Mark.

PS I do wonder if the IESG really want to be cc'ed on these messages but I guess they wouldn't be shy in telling us to stop :-)