Re: A question about requirements

--On 22. september 2003 10:21 -0700 Bob Hinden <hinden@iprg.nokia.com> wrote:

I agree that writing a requirement documents is a good way for the working
group to agree on what the problem is they are tasked to solve.  I think
there is starting to be a lot of experience that completing the
requirements document and publishing it as an Info RFC is not worth the
effort.  I am starting to think that most requirements documents should be
"working" documents and never be published as RFCs.

my somewhat facile remark about requirements documents this month is that a good requirements document should be something like 4 pages - large enough for anyone to read to figure out what the effort's supposed to help with, short enough that people will actually read it.

But I suspect that the effort to write and get consensus on a short document is often larger than the effort to write a long one, so this might not be helpful. (Can you imagine a WG agreeing on a 4-page requirements document for requirements documents? :-)

Harald