Re: References to work in progress

  *>
  *> Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> writes:
  *>
  *> > nope.  my issue is simply that if you have a reference, please make
  *> > it complete and unambiguous.  it allows someone to actually
  *> > de-reference it, which i suspect is the reason for references.  if
  *> > you don't want someone to follow the reference, then don't make it.
  *>
  *> I am sypathetic to this argument. I'm not at all sure that it makes
  *> sense to have references to "works in progress".
  *>
  *> Thomas
  *>

Randy and Thomas,

Your positions seem to be more absolutist than necessary.  A
WIP reference actually CAN be useful, and it is hopefully not that hard to
track down the actual I-D.  (If it's hard, there is something wrong at
ietf.org!).  OTOH, the RFC Editor certainly would be happy to avoid
WIP references whenever possible!

Bob