Evaluation: draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-v3-06.txt

Ted Hardie [ ] [ x] [ ] [ ]

Comment:

Section 3.2.1 mentions FIPS 140-2, but it is not included in
the informative references.

The logic in A.3 for the unlikeliness of the loss of 2^32
consecutive packets over a single SA seems compelling,
but in reading it I was struck it seems to assume that
at least one of the two sides is a host.  In an association
between two security gateways, are there conditions
in which the same assumptions might not hold?  If so,
would it be valuable to mention those conditions?  I note
that the document provides a mechanism for handling
the loss when it does occur, so going into the different
conditions may not be worth the extra effort.