Re: [xmppwg] Re: Last Call: 'XMPP Core' to Proposed Standard

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

The requirement that initiating receiving entity drop all knowledge
it learned before negotiating SASL layers (rule 5) is too broad.
This could be viewed as requiring the implement to forget knowledge
it gained previously in a secure manner (such as an externally
established lower level (IPSEC or TLS) identity information).
Likewise for rule 6.

Rules 5 and 6 are specific to the use of SASL mechanisms which are actively providing encryption/integrity protection. In this situation, it is known that TLS is not in use. I doubt it is known whether or not IPSec is in use for the entire communication path. Therefore, all information obtained prior to the establishment of encryption/integrity protection must be considered suspect.

I believe the problem is one of language. Can we replace all references to "security layer" to read "data protection layer"?

"security layer" is a SASL term, so changing it to something else will cause additional confusion.

Alexey
Isode Limited, http://www.isode.com

Cell: +44 7753759732

IETF standard related pages: