RE: Proposal from mstjohns: Pre-approval of RFC 2727bis

Sounds like any action would be too late anyway...

Russ

At 01:00 PM 10/9/2003 -0400, Margaret.Wasserman@nokia.com wrote:

Before we make a final decision on this issue one way or the
other, I want to make sure that we have considered two things:

(1) Rich Draves has already announced the the selection
criteria from RFC 2727 will be used.  To quote from his
announcement:

"At this time, 2727bis has not yet been approved as an RFC. Hence
I will use RFC 2727's eligibility criteria (attended 2 of the last
3 IETF meetings) when performing the random selection. I will
not check the primary affiliation of the volunteers. If the RFC
2777 algorithm selects an ineligible volunteer, I will repeat the
method until I have ten eligible and willing volunteers."

AND

(2) Rich Draves request for nomcom volunteers did not ask people to
list their primary affiliation, and affiliations are not included
in his volunteer list.

This raises two questions in my mind:

        - Has someone (Harald? Bill?) been talking to Rich about
                this situation, and is Rich okay with the idea of
                changing the selection rules to RFC 2727bis now?

        - Do we know that Rich has the information necessary
                to do the RFC2727bis selections (i.e. the primary
                affiliation of each volunteer), or could the need
                to obtain this information further delay the
                empaneling of the nomcom?

I continue to be willing to go along with Harald's plan, if others
agree, but I have strong reservations about whether it is wise
or workable to change the selection criteria at this point...

Margaret