Re: A concept resurrected(?) - WG secretary?

Hi Aaron

Aaron Falk wrote:

One idea I've been toying with is to make an audio recording of the
meeting. Primarily this would help me be sure I get all the important
points that arise. It also might be made available along with the
minutes, although there are probably some privacy issues we need to
worry about. (Or maybe not, this isn't so different from MBONE
coverage...) I'd be interested in feedback on this. Audio recording
technology (digital or analog) is cheap and many hotels have the
ability to take a feed from the sound reinforcement system. Just a
thought...

The AVT WG has been doing audio recordings since way back through tapping the speaker or MBONE system. As new chair I have only had the pleasure to write the minutes from the audio recording once. It certainly helps to know what happened, there a few minor problems that might arise. First is that the speakers do not say they names before talking at the microphone. For the one not voicing there opinion more than a few time it can be hard to recognize the voice. Second problem is if people makes comments away from the microphone which is not caught on tape. These issues can be improved by the chairs ensuring order when talking to the mike.

Having been using tape one can run of it an lose parts of the session if they are long. However this is something that can be solved by using digital recording devices with enough storage for several hours.

But as final note it certainly helps ensuring that one gets correct minutes.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com