The future of the IETF

I'm currently reading "Singularity Sky" by Charles Stross,
which contains the following amusing passage:

      "But the UN is a government--"
      "No, it isn't," Martin insisted. "It's a talking shop. Started out
      as a treaty organization, turned into a bureaucracy, then an escrow
      agent for various transnational trade and standards agreements.
      After the Singularity it was taken over by the Internet engineering
      task force"

So now you know what we have to look forward to.
-Ekr