The IESG statement on IDNA, and the IDNA RFC

Greetings again. As some of you probably know, we are revising RFC 3490 (the base document for the IDNA protocol) and hoping to move it from Proposed Standard to Draft Standard. Around the time that RFC 3490 was issued, the IESG made a statement on IDNs, now archived at <http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/IDNstatement.txt>.

The document that is meant to revise RFC 3490, draft-hoffman-rfc3490bis-01.txt, references the IESG statement near the beginning of the document. John Klensin has made a request for doing more than that, namely to include the IESG statement wholesale instead of by reference. As one of the co-authors of the Internet Draft, I'm happy either way. I certainly don't want to put the then-IESG's words into an RFC without the current IESG's permission, but think it is fine to have them in the document as well. The words could go near the front of the document (where the reference is now), as an appendix (with a forward reference from the front of the document), or left as it is in the current draft (as a pointer to a URL).

Could the IESG please mull this over and let the co-authors (and John) know what you prefer? Thanks!

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium