Re: HIP BOF Review

At 12:37 PM 10/11/2003 -0800, James Kempf wrote:
I basically agree with EKR's review, but have a few additional comments. I
think it might be helpful to get them to try separating out the components
of HIP that EKR identified and think about other possible options to replace
them. In particular, either though experiment or careful analysis, I think
they need to explain what benefits the cryptographic identity binding has
beyond simply separating the identity and location. If they can't come up
with a very good reason for that, then generating the identifier
anynonomously or by hashing the DNS name

Well if you did that then the DNS name is the identifier isn't it and the mapping from DNS name to IS is effectively 1:1 (well 1:0.x because of the hashing). I personally think it better to use an explicit DNS mapping in order to allow other than 1:1 relationship with the DNS.

You want benefits. I'd prefer to see damage in this case. i.e. I see no harm
in using the key as the identifier, and unless there is a compelling story that this
approach is broken then this strikes me as acceptable.

(theres also a second story that has more to do with the commercialization
of the DNS namespace, but I'll refrain from proceeding any further! )

Geoff