Re: Some slides for tonight

--On 13. november 2003 15:44 -0500 Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com> wrote:

Hmmm.

Of course, I don't know what was discussed about the plenary at this
morning's IESG breakfast, but...

the main point that came across at breakfast was that people were reacting as if these things were "done deals" - especially based on us having timelines for reaching community consensus that terminated before Seoul, I think. That's something we thought we'd carefully planned on avoiding, pointing out the community consensus thing and that this *was*, really, a request for comments, but somehow people got the other message.

My sense is that this is more dramatic than it needs to be.  Yes, people
are confused about the messaging from last night, but a simple, direct,
clarification slide or two should make it clear that last night was
meant just to be normal dialoguing.
If people catch the relation of this to last night's plenary, it will
make it seem like there was a constitutional crisis, which I don't
believe there was.  At all.
And I don't believe your chairmanship is being questioned here.

What I started out with was picking out the pyramid slides - the point is "the management is your servant, not your master" - I included the rest of the slide deck because I could make the point that this is completely consistent across the years - it came as a surprise to me that I'd felt a need to say exactly that at that time.

Perhaps it just troubles me because this reviews how *you* fit into the picture, and kind of undoes the optics we tried to achieve by both being on stage yesterday?

it does. And if I had taken the pyramids out, I could have taken the little man out too. But the message of "what I told you before" would get lost then.

Can we not just put up the 2 question slides from last night and say "last night was suggestions, not announcement"?

I don't know if that's enough.
The question slides don't speak to WHY we're doing it, which is one of the things Sue Hares was after me for last night - we have focused so intensely on the process issues and the process and organizational changes we want to make that we've forgotten to continue to project the vision of WHY we are doing this.

And when I re-found the slides from 2 1/2 years ago, that was actually in there too.