RE: Issue: Attribute concatenation/splitting

Avi Lior wrote:

> I think we should not allow to pack more then one Filter Rule in a
> single attribute.
>
> A Filter Rule should be allowed to overflow (span) more then one
> attribute.
>
> If you have more then one filter rules in a packet with some filter
> rules overflowing, how can you tell when a new one begins?
>
> A filter rule always starts with an action: permit or deny.  These
> words do not appear anywhere else in the rule.  Therefore a Filter
> Atribute that starts with a permit or deny must be a new filter
> rule.
>
> What is wrong with that?

It requires code specific to this attribute in RADIUS clients,
servers, and RADIUS<->Diameter translation agents. And that code
cannot be reused for other attributes: e.g. in the current
NAS-Traffic-Rule draft, the words "permit"/"deny" can appear in
the  middle of a rule.

Yes, this would work for NAS-Filter-Rule -- but so would any of the
other proposals so far (e.g. rules end with LF; rule ends if
attribute length <253; attributes begin with a tag octet; etc.)
I don't think any of these proposals is a really good one, but at
least the same approach could be reused for NAS-Traffic-Rule (and
maybe other attributes in the future as well).

Best regards,
Pasi