Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-radext-dynamic-discovery-00.txt

Glen Zorn wrote:
> Inside of a trusted network?  Isn't this, then, a configuration issue,
> rather than a standards issue?

  If it's *only* inside of a trusted network, yes.  But there are
interests outside of that usage.  e.g. Eduroam, and other roaming operators.

> Maybe you could explain those benefits (and why they were not exploited by
> the folks deploying Diameter).

  Because the deployments of Diameter and RADIUS are largely orthogonal.
 They have different use-cases, and therefore different needs.

>  The only real benefit I can see is in the
> case where a new server is added to the network or the IP address of an old
> one is changed (surely a rather rare occurrence).  Are there others?

  I'm spending a fair bit of time helping people migrate RADIUS servers
from one IP (and version of software) to another.  So while it may seem
fairly rare, many people see the benefit of an automatic discovery method.