RE: I-D Action:draft-ietf-radext-dynamic-discovery-00.txt

Alan DeKok [mailto:aland@deployingradius.com] writes:

> Glen Zorn wrote:
> > Inside of a trusted network?  Isn't this, then, a configuration
> issue,
> > rather than a standards issue?
>
>   If it's *only* inside of a trusted network, yes.  But there are
> interests outside of that usage.  e.g. Eduroam, and other roaming
> operators.
>
> > Maybe you could explain those benefits (and why they were not
> exploited by
> > the folks deploying Diameter).
>
>   Because the deployments of Diameter and RADIUS are largely
> orthogonal.
>  They have different use-cases, and therefore different needs.
>
> >  The only real benefit I can see is in the
> > case where a new server is added to the network or the IP address of
> an old
> > one is changed (surely a rather rare occurrence).  Are there others?
>
>   I'm spending a fair bit of time helping people migrate RADIUS servers
> from one IP (and version of software) to another.  So while it may seem
> fairly rare, many people see the benefit of an automatic discovery
> method.

Of course, what was I thinking?  Setting up a CA, issuing client and server
certs and configuring secure DNS is _so_ much simpler than laboriously
typing an IP address.  This simplicity must explain the amazing popularity
(indeed, true ubiquity) of the PKI today.