[idn] Re: IDN eamples for testing

"James Seng" <jseng@pobox.org.sg> writes:

>> Can you elaborate? How does this break anything? They respond to
>> strictly erroneous requests, with erroneous responses. I can't see
>> how this could cause failures of other participants of the DNS.
>
> Two wrong dont make it right. Nothing in RFC 1034 & 1035 mention the DNS
> should response error with error.

Garbage in, garbage out.  If returning one particular kind of garbage
to one common client that sends garbage works, then this is what
people will do.  It doesn't violate technical DNS specifications,
since technical specifications by definition cannot regulate things
that isn't part of the protocol.  It may violate an operational DNS
specification or BCP, but I'm not aware of such documents.