Re: [Fwd: Re: [RMONMIB] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rmonmib-raqmon-pdu-08.txt]

Hi Juergen,

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

Having said this (just for the completeness of the discussion I think

;-), I generally believe that accessible-for-notify is in almost all
cases something to avoid, usually indicating some lack of status
objects that can be polled to detect the same event that the
notification is supposed to communicate. I have not checked the
MIB in question (and do not plan to do so any time soon) but if
we consider adding language to the guidelines explaining how to create such accessible-for-notify tables we should also add language
how to avoid such accessible-for-notify tables.

While I believe it is possible to model the objects as a group of related scalars, using a conceptual table and the INDEX construct allows the SMI to provide a uniqueness constraint that otherwise could only be captured in descriptive text. Using a conceptual table also provides a coexistence quality and instance multiplicity that a scalar should not. This seems to be a good use for the SMI.

The RAQMON-RDS-MIB maps the real-time application quality of service monitoring statistics reported by a raqmon data source (RDS) in the raqmon pdu to SNMP notifications. These reports are collected by a raqmon report collector (RRC). The raqmon functional architecture is discussed in sxn 2 of draft-ietf-rmonmib-raqmon-framework. Essentially the RDS is resource poor and the RRC is resource rich. The RRC uses the raqmon stats in exposing the RAQMON-MIB.

I am not very familiar with raqmon, so I am sure Dan and others can provide more specific motivations for using a conceptual table for this puporse.

Regards,

Mark