Re: GSE IDs [Re: IETF multihoming powder: just add IPv6 and stir]

On dinsdag, mei 13, 2003, at 17:26 Europe/Amsterdam, Christian Huitema wrote:

Mobile IP in IPv6 uses a 24 byte header to carry the original source
address, right?

It does, but it only needs to do so when negotiating a binding update.
The trick is to design a usage model of MIPv6 in which binding updates
are used to redirect a TCP connection (or a UDP flow) to a new address.
Christian, why did you have to do this???

All this time I managed to avoid reading the MIPv6 draft (no RFC yet...) but now I had to in order to be able to disagree with you.

On page 78 it says that there must be state in the binding cache AND the correspondent has to use a routing header. So there's something to hate there for everyone.

(I know I was talking about the source and not the dest address but that one is significantly more convoluted in the spec. Looks like the same thing applies, though.)

Unfortunately it isn't entirely trivial to remove the routing header and have the identifier^H^H^H^H^Hhome address be implied as this requires a mechanism to detect whether something is directed at the home address or the care-of address, which we need to know to do the checksums. Who's bright idea was it to include the addresses in the transport checksums anyway???