Re: Consensus on identifier/locator split?

Iljitsch,

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:02:21PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On woensdag, aug 6, 2003, at 20:16 Europe/Amsterdam, Tony Li wrote:
>
> > Christian,
>
> > You're getting specific on me and I was trying to stay at the
> > broad architectural level, in the hopes of making baby steps
> > forward.  Is there some version of the identifier/locator
> > split that you WOULD agree to?
>
> I would like to note at this point that consensus isn't the same as
> unanimity, and rough consensus certainly isn't.
>
> I agree that we should follow the loc/id split path.

It's bit a hard to talk about a seperation while everybody seems to
have a different definition of what that seperation could entail.

It seems that the correct question to ask is whether people think it
is useful if the designteam will go further on it's choosen path and
come up with a more concrete proposal so that we have a chance to
really evaluate a more fully baked proposal.

I don't think there is consensus though that the designteam choices
are the only possible route to a solution or that only one solution is
the answer to the problem. We are still in a stage where other groups
could work on quite different ideas and they are not well defined
enough (yet) so that we are able to do a full analysis and make a final
choice (if we even need to do that).

David K.
---