Re: Consensus on identifier/locator split?

On donderdag, aug 7, 2003, at 19:46 Europe/Amsterdam, Eliot Lear wrote:

How ought we (if at all) deal with the notion of a virtual end point such as a "content routed" service like CNN?
First of all: is there a pressing need to do this below the application layer in the first place??? I know vendors make good money selling "layer 7 switches" but this looks an awful lot like asking for trouble to me. ("No, we can't IPv6-enable our website, the load balancers don't support it.")

If we want to, it should be possible to go from a single very high level identifier to one of several possible lower level identifiers (where we select the "best" lower level identifier, such as the closest or least busy one) and then to several locators for this lower level identifier.

To do this well we very likely need some kind of negotiation mechanism here, but this is something I haven't been able to convince everyone else we need yet. :-)

Particularly in the face of mobile nodes.
I guess that if you want to be really cool you should jump end-hosts in mid session if your idea of "best" changes... This would entail stopping whatever is happening, connecting to a new endpoint and starting the communication at a specific point. I guess this could work for things like file transfer and streaming, but hard to make it work without involving the app.