PADS: deployed IETF standard based off path signaling architecture

Dear all,

we've focused our discussion on RSVP, as if there was no other signaling protocol ever standardised by IETF. In fact, the creators of BGP never cared whether BGP is an on/off path signaling protocol. On path BGP scales for small networks, where a peering router also runs the full BGP process. Full BGP processing and forwarding data doesn't scale well on backbone peering routers. It's usually separated. The centralised BGP signaling system called "Route Reflector" is widely deployed by backbone operators.

I'll pick up this example in my revised draft. I also think that it's worth mentioning that IETF has an off path signaling success story during the next PADS BOF session.

Regards, Rüdiger