RE: Encoding of Location-Id and Location-Name in draft-black-radi us-lanedge-00.txt

I don't think there is much to optimize here. You have to do a character by
character examination to extract the information you want.

Let me be clear about something.  I am not really concerned about the
performance hit in parsing this particular attribute.  My concern is that
protocol designers will continue to use this style of encoding and then we
would have a performance problem.  Using X.500 style of encoding is very
alluring for many reasons.  What about XML encoding?  That is even more
alluring.  When will we have to deal with that?

I would like to adopt the following heuristic (we can refine this):  If the
item in question is defined elsewhere then we adopt its encoding scheme.
Otherwise, if it is just for the consumption of AAA we adopt an encoding
scheme that is most efficient for RADIUS.

We also have to be very vigilant that the contents of the strings are
specified tightly!!!

On the other hand, I get the feeling that resistance is futile ;-)

Avi.