Re: RADIUS V2

Avi Lior <avi@bridgewatersystems.com> wrote:
> I would have thought that we didn't want to go to RADIUSv2.  But reading the
> list you would get the impression that RADIUS has a long bright future.

  RADIUS (as RADIUS) *does* have a long and bright future.

  RADIUS++ or RADIUSv2 should be killed before they get too far.

> I do like Jari attribute but is it too little too late?
>
> Is someone really asking for it?  Are things really busted?

  I can see it as one path to moving to diameter.  There aren't
currently a lot of system using or demanding diameter.  Having
diameter attributes carried inside of RADIUS could help:

  a) avoid adding more features to RADIUS
  b) the migration to diameter.

  Of course, there are issues with this encapsulation, as has been
pointed out in earlier messages.

> What happened between Charter 3,4 etc. (no new attribute types) and now? We
> should be asking these questions as well no?

  This is a good point.  I can see a proposed Diameter-Message
attribute carrying diameter attributes, and not much more.  It can
then be an opaque type to everyone who doesn't use it.