Re: Continued discussion of RADIUS Crypto-Agility

Hello,

>> The impact of connectionless vs. connection is not very significant when
>> discussing the protocol's *security*, IMO.
>
> So I gather that as far as you're concerned a network "protocol" solely
> consistes of the format of the innermost PDU?

No. The point I tried to make was that the *security properties* of a protocol
can be made mostly independent of the layer 4 transport. That's why I put
*security* in *bold*. That's what I thought this thread was supposed to be
about. I am not trying to argue that connectionless and connection-oriented
transports are the same thing (what a fool would I be).

TLS and DTLS are a good example in that respect: they deliver very similar,
maybe even identical (I don't dare judge on that), security properties even
though one is using a connection-oriented, the other one a connectionless
transport layer.

>> Well, it's _almost_ RADIUS, especially if one takes into account the
>> mechanisms in RADIUS to detect duplication, retransmission etc, which
>> already contains parts of the merits of TCP.
>
> By that logic, a cobra is _almost_ a pidgeon.
[...]
> Only if snakes are almost birds...

You lost me here. I thought I had provided some *arguments* that show the
similarities between RADIUS+DTLS and RadSec. Instead of countering that with
reason, you counter it by throwing strange anatomical claims at me (which you
don't bother to further explain - but I guess that's for the better since it
is largely OT anyway). Forgive me if I ignore that part of your post.

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg