RE: Continued discussion of RADIUS Crypto-Agility

Title: Re: Continued discussion of RADIUS Crypto-Agility
Hi,

> Well, except that in order to place these things in a common category it
> is necessary to ignore one of the defining characteristics of RADIUS:
> that it is only and intentionally defined as a connectionless protocol.

The impact of connectionless vs. connection is not very significant when
discussing the protocol's *security*, IMO.
So I gather that as far as you're concerned a network "protocol" solely consistes of the format of the innermost PDU?

> might like to believe so, RadSec is _not_ RADIUS,

Well, it's _almost_ RADIUS, especially if one takes into account the
mechanisms in RADIUS to detect duplication, retransmission etc, which already
contains parts of the merits of TCP.
By that logic, a cobra is _almost_ a pidgeon.

> & therefore far out of
> scope of not just the crypto-agility discussions but of this WG.
> RADIUSoDTLS, OTOH, doesn't alter the fundamental nature of RADIUS &
> therefore _is_ in scope.

I have understood that DTLS is considered in scope, while RadSec is out of
scope (Reminder: I never claimed otherwise). Just keep in mind that DTLS
itself requires even more characteristics of TCP, so when combining the
RADIUS mechanisms that come on top of UDP + the transport mechanisms in DTLS,
the end result is getting very close to TCP already. So the distance between
in-scope and out-of-scope is a very thin line.
Only if snakes are almost birds...