Re: [RRG] End user network size [ [Q] draft-farinacci-lisp: IPv4 address depletion]

Bill,

On 2007-09-26 15:29, William Herrin wrote:
On 9/25/07, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2007-09-26 13:41, Robin Whittle wrote:
My idea is that there are many end-user networks which need less
than 256 IP addresses and whose owners need or strongly desire their
networks to be multihomed and/or to be free to move to another ISP
without renumbering.
I feel I have to pick this apart to explain why I disagree.

I don't think the owners of such small networks care about
their IP address at all. Their true requirements are

Brian,

I run a small operation with two upstream connections via the local
monopolies: Verizon Business Fios and Cox Business cable Internet. I
have around 20 addresses in use between the two, attached to 7
servers. The cost is quite modest: around $150 per month to each
provider for which I get about two T1's worth of bandwidth upstream
and 15 or so T1's worth downstream.

My true requirements are for a small number of addresses which reach
me via whichever of those upstreams is at this moment working, closest
and not too clogged. I can't speak for anyone else but I find it
difficult to credit the notion that my requirements are unusual.

They are certainly not unreasonable! But I really think it's the exception;
most SOHO users (I mean 99%) simply won't have the sophistication
to do that sort of thing, and will rely on their ISP. That's what
I see around me.

    Brian