Re: [RRG] End user network size [ [Q] draft-farinacci-lisp: IPv4 address depletion]

On 9/26/07, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2007-09-26 15:29, William Herrin wrote:
> > My true requirements are for a small number of addresses which reach
> > me via whichever of those upstreams is at this moment working, closest
> > and not too clogged. I can't speak for anyone else but I find it
> > difficult to credit the notion that my requirements are unusual.
>
> They are certainly not unreasonable! But I really think it's the exception;
> most SOHO users (I mean 99%) simply won't have the sophistication
> to do that sort of thing, and will rely on their ISP. That's what
> I see around me.

Brian,

I agree that with the technologies *deployed today*, SOHO users
generally do not have the sophistication to tease useful results out
of having multiple providers. Clearly folks like me are the exception
which is no doubt why so few people do it.

I strongly disagree with the assertion that few SOHO users would
multihome if the technology was within their grasp or the grasp of the
consultant they could hire for a couple hours to set it up. Quite the
contrary: in areas like mine, the economics favor it even before
considering reliability. Its much cheaper for me to double my
bandwidth by buying the base product from two providers than it is to
buy the higher speed product from just one of them.

Regards,
Bill

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin@dirtside.com  bill@herrin.us