RE: [RRG] LISP, IPv6 and 6to4

Brian,

Consider that incremental 6to4 deployment is already under
way under the 2002::/16 prefix space. The deployment includes
6to4 relay routers that relay traffic from the 2002::/16 prefix
space to reach nodes in sites that configure non-2002::/16
prefixes. With this incremental deployment already under way,
we could say that:

  - new sites that deploy native IPv6 prefixes (i.e., prefixes
    other 2001::/16 and 2002::/16) must also deploy ITR/ETRs
    at their outermost borders and must support a map/encaps
    scheme like LISP/APT
  - 6to4 relay routers must be configured to also act as ITRs
    so that nodes in 6to4-only sites will be able to reach
    nodes in non-6to4 sites, i.e., they must be configured
    as LISP/APT proxy tunnel routers
  - 6to4-only sites should begin to deploy ITR/ETRs, at which
    point they can begin to deploy native IPv6 prefixes and
    phase out 6to4

So, as you say below, 6to4 use would eventually fade, and
a full LISP/APT IPv6 Internet would result with ITR/ETRs
everywhere. (All of this IMHO, of course.)

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.