Re: [RRG] LISP, IPv6 and 6to4

So, as you say below, 6to4 use would eventually fade, and
a full LISP/APT IPv6 Internet would result with ITR/ETRs
everywhere. (All of this IMHO, of course.)

Fred, as we mentioned in the Tutorial and RRG meetings, we could use IPv6 EIDs and IPv4 locators and have site-based IPv6 packets get encapsulated in IPv4. We could do a mapping lookup to translate from a IPv6 EID to a IPv4 locator, or to be 6to4 address aware get the IPv4 locator from the 2002::/16 prefix and avoid the mapping lookup.

Having said that, it would not give us multi-homing support for the IPv6 destination site, but if you used the 2002::/16 locator as an anycast address for more than one ETR at the destination IPv6 site, then closest entrance policy would be used by any source IPv6 site.

But if you have a mapping database deployed, you may as well use it and get the features that come along with it. So I see little value in using the 2002::/16 embedded IPv4 address as a locator.

Dino