Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

Robin,
In "Re: [RRG] Re: Aggregation Implies Provider Dependence (LISP-ALT)
& Ivip dependencies too", Brian Carpenter wrote:

However, user expectations are of a noticeable delay between
dialling a phone number and hearing the ringing tone. So e2e
lookup solutions to both number portability and roaming are
tolerable. If we're prepared to tolerate such a delay in initial
identifier-to-locator lookup, why are we having this
conversation? (And note that Mobile IP effectively *does* use
such a solution.)

A scheme such as ALT will also delay some of the DNS (identifier to
locator) lookups, since some DNS servers will be on EID space which
the ITR has no mapping for.

I think there at at least two reasons we should be concerned about
the delay problems inherent in a map-encap scheme which depends on
any kind of global query server network (LISP-CONS, LISP-ALT or Bill
Herrin's TRRP):

1 - Great reluctance to introduce or impose any new architecture
    which further delays the establishment of communications.

I completely disagree for two reasons. First, applications are used to have a small delay before the first packet flows, this delay has been introduced by the DNS a long time ago. I guess that some people were worried by the added delay at that time, but the benefits of the DNS are clearly more important than this additional second. Second, the delay is only encountered for the *first packet* that needs a mapping. With a router based solution such as LISP, many flows will benefit from the mapping learned from previous flows on the routers.

2 - Concern that if the new kind of address space involves
    extra delays of any measurable kind - especially when they
    are perceptible by end-users - that this will be a serious
    and perhaps fatal barrier to the widespread adoption of the
    new kind of address space.

A new architecture will bring new benefits and some costs in terms of delays for a minor fraction of the packets (0.01% or fewer ?) and somme added overhead due to encapsulation. This added costs must be compared to the benefits of the new architecture.

Olivier

--
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be , Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium