Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

Robin Whittle wrote:
> Short version:
>
>    We have choices other than pure push or pure pull.
>
>    A suitably flexible hybrid push-pull system can be deployed
>    according to all the prevailing conditions and provide
>    minimal packet delays, due to the use of query servers which
>    are always local - a lot closer and faster responding than
>    relying on a global query server network of a pure pull
>    system such as CONS or ALT.

The other thing I would say, is that we have a tradeoff. But we
may need to look into host/stack/application behaviour to know
how important the various factors are when doing that tradeoff.

The main thing IMO is to have scalable routing, and some
in-optimal application behaviour or host/stack/application
changes may be a small price to pay. However, we should look
into those to make a more informed decision, not ignore them
until later. I guess this is where we need input from transport
or applications people...

Stig