Re: [RRG] getting rid of longest match

On Feb 25, 2008, at 4:06 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Yes, except that it wouldn't be hardcoded into the IP stack but enforced through filters. So it could be /24 for 193.0.0.0/9 and /19 for 193.128.0.0/9.

The issue with overlap is: which one do you choose? Longest match says the smallest block is the good one, but I don't think YouTube appreciated that logic yesterday. If we ditch longest match we need another rule. Allowing only one prefix size for a certain address range is one way to resolve this, but others are also possible. For instance, S-BGP or soBGP-like security mechanisms.

Or we just need those 'filters' you're referring to above, and leave the
protocols as is...

-danny