RE: [RRG] Are host-stack modifications allowed or disallowed ?

|> Yes, but there's a very big difference between you driving your car
|> the way
|> that you want and the way that hop-by-hop forwarding works.
|
|What if the driver could (optionally) select from a set of back roads
|that is limited to those published by the network provider?  If the
|driver doesn't want to and/or cannot do this additional navigation
|work, he could follow the nudge of the underlying hop-by-hop mechanism.
|
|In other words, maybe we can build a basic reachability service of
|global scope, and layer on top of that a more advanced service that
|provides enhanced functionality, but where the costs are localized.

That would be a fine thing, but the user has only two ways to express his
desires: one is by injecting routing information, which necessarily can be
overridden.  The only other way is by doing a setup protocol.

Some folks have proposed a hybrid architecture in the past that allowed
both, but it (rightfully) went over like a lead balloon.

|> To give the end
|> user complete control over the path, we need to revert to a fully
|> connection
|> oriented Internet.  No thanks.  ;-)
|
|Can you clarify?  What if the intentions stated by the end user are
|only advisory?

If they are advisory, then the ISP may ignore them.  It was previously
asserted that this would be unacceptable.

Tony