RE: [RRG] Are we solving the wrong problem?

Excerpts from Tony Li at 17:04:50 -0800 on Wed  5 Mar 2008:
> |This is interesting stuff but mostly orthogonal to routing (alas).
> |It allows endpoints to manage their congestion and do simple TE.
> |It doesn't allow more sophisticated policy, avoid renumbering,
> |etc. (see the RRG design goals).
>
> Doesn't it obviate the need to advertise PI prefixes in the first place?

It does reduce the number of routes in the core.  Another nice thing
is that it's incrementally deployable (different hosts can have
different levels of inteligence).  However, host behavior is based on
knowledge of their IP addresses, and hosts have to be reconfigured
when PA provider connections change, so you still have renumbering
issues.  Also routes are no better than they are today.